Fredrick Heidel was born in Corvallis, Oregon, in 1915, and died in Portland in 2000. He received his Master’s in Fine Art from the Art Institute of Chicago in 1956. He taught art for over 35 years, beginning in 1945 at the Biarritz American University and then at Portland State University from 1951-1980. He began his career as a painter, but started working in glass in the 1960s after receiving a grant to work in the glass factories in Holland.  He traveled to Amsterdam the rest of his professional life to create the laminated and fused glass for his sculpture. He has had one person exhibitions at the San Francisco Museum of Art, the Portland Art Museum, the Smith Anderson Gallery in Palo Alto, and the Glasgalene Kuhler in Amsterdam.